Composition Challenge: BACKGROUND

Although Mrs. Gotschall spoke about "de-cluttering" the background, I wanted to post examples of using your background to tell a story.


I just like this photo and how you can see Drew's dad, Grandpa, and boat in the background. To me, including this information in the background helps the viewer imagine what is going on in the subject's mind.

The "longing" in her eyes is explained by her cousins on the tube in the background.


Had I just focused on the ducks, without including any background information, you may have
a completely different story in your mind when viewing this photo of Washington, D.C. Likewise, focusing on JUST the Lincoln Memorial without the ducks in the foreground, wouldn't have been as interesting of a photo either, in my opinion.

Finally, I made this photo this morning in my front yard. I could have captured the sunflower alone, but paying attention the background and including our house number gives the image a sense of place and tells a more personal story to me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment